11 Sept 2012

Road Trip Advice


Growing up spontaneity was the norm and being able to be packed and ready for a 2 week holiday in about 30mins was considered a sign of strong character. I was also bought up to conceal just how high maintenance I really am.

Imagine my horror when after taking 2hrs my friend turned up for 1 night away with 3 large bags. The shame was fully felt when unloading the car at the hotel in front of the men folk who’s eyes were rolling. I am going to have to take her in hand and do some intensive covert packing training with her, but here are some of my tips for those of you not so far gone.
 
1. Conceal as much as possible in the car, preferably toss your bag on the backseat in a carefree manner and never ever open the boot in front of company.
 
2. Haul your largest handbag and stuff it to capacity as this will still look small when standing next to a suitcase.
 
3. Pretend you thought you were going fly fishing or if that is totally inappropriate just wear a jacket with lots of pockets and use them all.
 
4. Send your shoes ahead by courier (I once had to do this, I am not joking)
 
5. Extend the limit on your credit card and sneak off down to the shops (this will not work in the provinces or outer Mongolia).