29 Mar 2012

Don't Burst my Bubble

Although I always turn my nose up at camping, secretly I love it, well for the first 3 days at least. After that I invariably get bored, drink too much and wake up with a stonking hangover in a tent that feels like an oven.

When the B was small a large group of us would take our kids away every NYs to a friend’s private beach. And by private I mean that access was only possible by a death defying ride down a sheer cliff on the farm bikes.

We did however have a cabin for cooking, a power supply and a shower. Again by power supply I mean a diesel powered generator, which was only used at night for lighting the cabin where we all gathered to take turns charging up our phs and laptops. The shower was a triumph of womanly ingenuity as one day when the guys were out fishing we constructed it out of bits of wood corrugated iron sheeting and a solar shower bag hung off the side of the cabin.

But the sight of 5 kids in a giant claw footed bath in the middle of a paddock with the beach behind them is so romantic it somehow makes you forget that you spent the previous day digging a new long drop!

The best part about teens disowning you is that you no longer have to spout clap trap about getting back to basics and next time I go camping it better be in a bubble tent in France otherwise I will throw a bigger tantrum than a 3yo who’s been forced to give up the decaying cow bones they just found in the creek.